2010-02-11

eeePC How to install an eth0 device on an independant USB-stick.

(writing while dreaming)

ALERT! WAKE UP! DO NOT READ ON - I just killed my stick on the real boot (but I am not sure why).

It might be annoying, but I really do have to commentate it for myself. But this is the third post about the installation of a free Debian USB-stick and how to connect it to the 'net' via a pppd-device but still with no 'real' net for local serving.

STILL ONGOING 10/02/11:
As the mobile device needs as a server an ethernet device and my only testing computers are a Toshiba Notebook and an eeePC 901, I started with the eeePC.

According to Debian's eeePC site the drivers for the so-called atl2 are included with the kernel project. OK. Not for my purpose - as I did not install the eeePC-special-kernel. But there is the name in it: 'atl2'(yeah, sounds like a cheap TV channel, I know).

After a try of: 'sudo apt-get install atl2-modules' - no chance. But with another search for atl2 in the debian repository:

sudo apt-get install atl2-modules-2.6-486

worked out. Good, but not perfect, as it is tied to the kernel (486 from the first part). Not quite sure, if it will work - but already blogged, as this is a work in progress.


(Off for testing)